Friday, December 2, 2011

I Survived No Makeup November

By  Elizabeth Yardley
       Pennridge High School

                  Nov. 1, Pennridge High SchoolBoys were roaming around the hallways  proudly  proclaiming their pledge to not shave for a month for "No Shave November".
                  Since I am a girl, I decided to go along with what fellow reality panelist Lauren McClusick wrote about earlier in the month and not wear makeup as a participant of "No Makeup November".  Although this seemed like a disatrous and highly risky idea at first, I pushed forward as one of the few teenage girls who would ever not wear makeup to school.
                  There were times when I wavered and felt very self-conscious and exposed, but I stayed strong!  Through this experience, I realized that makeup does not make you beautiful.  Being confident and comfortable with yourself does, and you don't have to hide your flaws ---- because a lot of girls do wear makeup, you don't have to be one of them.
                  Now that November is over, other girls who participated in the month without the eyeliner, mascara, blush, foundation, eye shadow, bronzer and other cosmetics might run back screaming to their bag of treasures and kiss it like it is the formula to solve all of the world's problems.
                   I, however, will continue to not wear makeup, which may be shocking to some teenagers.  But that month has been very eye-opening to me about what realbeauty is, and I no longer believe I need makeup to be pretty.  I look forward to other girls realizing this, and then they will not feel obligated to cake on products every day to impress the people around them.
                   I hope my non-makeup-wearing will continue for a long time and that girls will know being happy with yourself is the best way to look good on a Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment