Friday, February 28, 2014

The perks of owning a "Dumb Phone"

                              In 2014, seeing a 10-year-old kid with an iPhone in hand is not an uncommon sight.  However, in my house, these popular smartphones are not an option.
                             Yes, I am 16 years old with a "flip phone" that came out years ago.  Don't get me wrong ---- it's a cool phone.  At least it was when I was 12.
                             My phone is called the LG Xpression.  The keyboard slides out from underneath, and the keys make an obnoxious click when I text.
                             The camera quality is absolutely horrible ------ you're lucky if you can even identify who is who in my pictures.  They all just look like, for a lack of a better word, blobs.
                             The coolest thing I can do on my cell is set an alarm clock.  I get no Internet, no apps, no voice control, no music, etc.  While my friends can play any song at any given time, the best thing I have to offer is "Guitar Trip" ----- the newest free ringtone from AT&T.
                             I can't go on any social media such as Twitter and Instagram or take any nice pictures that can be sent to be printed with the push of a few buttons.  In class, when my teachers say "bring out your devices" to look something up, I just have to sit patiently at my desk and wait for the answer to be given to me.
                            Those are just a few of the inconveniences my phone has, and believe me, there are plenty more.
                            Although I've made my phone out to sound absolutely awful, it does have its perks.  The charge holds really well, so I only have to plug it in once every week.  Also, I don't have "read receipts," so no one can ever see when I read their message.  This gives me the advantage of ignoring someone in the most polite way possible.
                           Plus, these "dumb phones" are nearly indestructible.  Mine dropped into a creek, fell into a sink with the water running and even survived a brutal smack from a wall.  The numerous times I've dropped it on concrete or hardwood floors also proves true durability.
                          Through all the different beatings my poor phone has suffered, it has never failed to let me call my parents or send a text to my friend.
                          When I really think about it, though, would I even be capable of owning and operating one of these fancy phones?  I'm starting to worry they might be smarter than I am!
                          When my friend let me borrow her iPhone 5s a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't even figure out how to unlock it.  It's come to a point when having a conservation with your own cellphone (Siri) is normal.  Don't you think that's a little much?
                          I mean, in the grand scheme of things, my parents' logic isn't too crazy.  Their monthly bill comes out to $10 per number, but data plans cost $30-plus.
                          I guess my "dino-phone," as my mom likes to call it, isn't so bad after all.
                          Just pray for me because by the time I'll even be able to afford an iPhone 5s, I'm sure the iPhone 10z will be hot on the market. 

No comments:

Post a Comment