Saturday, April 16, 2011

KNOW WHAT WE'RE SAYIN' ?

                   We're all about language conservation and protection.
                   We're all about goin' red, not green; if we see our language being messed with, we stop it.
                    In fact, whenever we notice graffiti obscuring our blessed words and phrases, its days are numbered: We reach for Formula 409 and 86 it.
                   With that in mind, welcome to the wildly popular third annual "Lose it from the Lexicon" series.
                    Before we begin, let me draw your attention to the den wall, where mounted are some of the tragically misused words and phrases we've put to rest since our founding in 2009:
                    Misused and overused words and phrases such as like, totally, whatever, obviously, back story, perfect storm, phone tag, you know, don't go there, I mean, it is what it is, my bad, help me to help you, agree to disagree, are we having fun yet, at the end of the day, think outside the box, push the envelope, and thrown under the bus.
                   We've even made room on the wall for misused phrases (I could care less) and for words (irregardless) that mean the exact oppisite of what they're commonly used to express.
                    But just when you think all the language roaches have been eradicated, you turn on the lights and see new ones scatter into the baseboard.
                     Here are some of those pesty roaches:
Foodie: It's an annoying little word used by half-baked, self-absorbed people in order to make their love of food sound more important than yours.  Coined 30 years ago and used in 1984 book "The Official Foodie Handbook," it has made a comeback.  Can often be found on a foodie's Twitter profile between fan of Indonesian Balinese Gamelan music and Zen master apprentice.  Ugh!
Spot on: Said to someone whose comments are believed to be correct.  For example: "Your opinion that the Flyers, who are playing poorly a week before the playoffs begin, peaked too early was spot on."  When I say that this term must go the way of the dodo, I would hope plenty of folks would respond, "Spot on."
Gone viral: It means some story, trend or idea has become unbelievably popular in a very short time ---and usually in cyberspace.  It's another case where a term was created where none was needed.  And like human viruses, there is no antibiotic to kill it, so we are left for it to run its course.
Having said that: If you just told me something and saw me nodding as though I understood every word you just spoke, why do you feel the need to begin your next sentence with that phrase?  Having said that, this cockroach of a phrase needs to go.
So fun: Not sure if the geniuses who came up with this term---as in "This rollercoaster is so fun!"---added the "so" by accident or forgot to add "much" between the two.  So fun?  Hearing it is so not fun.
Know what I'm sayin'?:  Had some fun messing with the not-fully-formed brains of some high school boys, who, after spotting me wearing a Red Sox cap, said, "Sox are in trouble.  Know what I'm sayin'?"  I said, "No, I don't know what you're sayin'."
                                         The kid proceeded to explain himself and again finished by saying, "Know what I'm sayin'"?  Again, and this time with furrowed brow, I responded by sayin' "Um, no, I don't know what you're sayin'."
                                         That when one of the kid's pals pulled him by the sweatshirt and said, 'Dude's screwin' with ya."  I said, "Your buddy's right.  Know what I'm sayin'?"
                                         This phrase, and all the other words and phrases above, have to go.
                                          Know what I'm sayin'?  

No comments:

Post a Comment