Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Why I finally got ios 7 on my iPhone

                              By  Haley Schwartz
                                    Pennridge High School

                              I have been a proud owner of an iphone for only a year and half, after my father gifted me the new (at the time) iPhone 5 as a get-well for my wisdom teeth surgery.
                              I had owned an iPod before I got the phone, so I had an idea of how to work it.  I was used to the layout and the functionality of the iPod, so I was happy with how easy it was to adapt to the iPhone.
                              Guess how happy I was when the ios 7 came out.  Here's a hint :  I wasn't ecstatic.  So I had held out on getting the system update until two Monday nights ago.
                              I realized it was stupid, on my part, that I hadn't upgraded my phone.  As I sat, bored on my couch, I started thinking about my lack of desire to get the upgrade.
                              I thought I didn't want to allow myself to further conform to the technological lifestyle of  so many people; I couldn't let myself be taken over by this need to have the newest upgrade or the newest tablet.
                              But then I came to the realization we can, as individuals, and as a generation, embrace technology, as well as our past and improve upon ourselves.  I realized distancing myself from technological improvements is more of a detriment than an advantage.
                              Yeah,I may not totally agree with the necessity of Twitter and Facebook, nor do I like that there are 7-year-olds running around with iPads, but I must throw myself to the wolves ... err, to technology.  I have to embrace our improvements and not hold myself back as long as I don't lose myself in Flappy Bird and Instagram (even though I have neither of those). 
                              I decided just because I upgrade my phone, it doesn't mean I'm succumbing to the addictive nature of being absorbed by technology.
                              So, yes, I got the upgrade, but the idea of all this ------ of how fast new technology and products are being created ------- is still scary to me in the sense all this is slowly taking over our lives.
                              So my phone is up to date ....... yada, yada .... and now I have to get used to another system I have to integrate into my life.
                              But I am not holding myself back from progress, while still keeping technology (in my life at least) somewhat at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment