Sunday, June 5, 2011

LIFE MUCH HAPPIER WHEN YOU EMBRACE YOUR INNER NERD

           Trust me, there's a little Nerdfighter in all of us.
            I'm a nerd.  At verious times in my life I've tried to talk my way around it, but there it is:  I am a nerd.
            I like to read, I do well in school, I get overly excited about the little things.  I'm Harry Potter crazy and I like to debate more than I should.  I spend just a little too much time on the Internet.
            For a while, all this made me self-conscious; as far as I knew, I was pretty much alone.  So I tried to hide it.  I tried to act "Chill" or "cool," but that didn't work out for me at all.  The truth is that I find "chill" people pretty boring.  What's so great about acting like you don't care about anything?
           That's when I found Nerdfighters, and I realized that I was anything but alone.  Here was a group of people who told me to celebrate my nerdiness, who might just be nerdier than I am.  So I decided to do something really crazy and tried to just be myself, nerdiness included.
           Let me just say that life in general got a lot better after that.
           To me, and from what I've seen for a good portion of Nerdfighters as well, that's what the whole community is-----the motivation to accept yourself for what you really are.  That's one of the many things that is so great about Nerdfighters; they're not trying to change you into something or mold you into some unattainable ideal.  Not to mention the great discussions, hilarious inside jokes and the wonderful John and Hank Green who are, undeniably, my role models.
           You don't even really need to be a nerd to become a Nerdfighter----you could just be someone with a desire to make the world a better place, or who would really like somewhere to go on ridiculous rants about the current situation in Pakistan, because you know, it really, really sucks.
           What I'm trying to say is that from what I've found, anyone can be a Nerdfighter.   If you like to laugh, cry, debate, discuss, be ridiculous, be nerdy or all of the above, you couldn't find a better place than http://www.nerdfighters.com/.
            I'd recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment