Tuesday, January 19, 2010

HOW TO SOUND SMARTER ( PART 3 )

You almost never mean: Hopefully. you almost always mean: I hope. Why:Hopefully mean"in a hopeful manner." "I hope the boss lets us out early" and "Hopefully, the boss lets us out early" aren't the same thing.You almost never mean: More importantly.

You almost always mean: More important. Why: More or most important is probably what you want. Only if you're a pompous blowhard do you say things importantly.

You never mean: Between you and I. you always mean: Between you and me. Why: Between you and I sounds fancy, and therefore right, but don't be so quick to belittle Cookie Monster("Me want cookies!"). In this case, me is correct because it's the object of the preposition between.

You almost never mean: Assessable. you almost always mean: Accessible. Why: A library iwheelchair-accessible. Your house is assessable by the county that taxes it.

• You almost never mean: I feel badly. You almost always mean: I feel bad. Why: Is your sense of touch physically impaired (almost never) or are you feeling some guilt after screwing up(almost always)?

You never mean: Equally as well (important, etc.). you always mean: Equally well. Why: The as isn't necessary. "I speak Latin and pig Latin equally well."

You never mean: The reason is because. you always mean: The reason is that. Why: The reason is that the word reason implies because. Likewise, why say "the reason why" when you can say "the reason"?

You almost never mean: I need to lay down. you almost always mean: I need to lie down. Why: This is another case where people think (wrongly) that a particular word sounds more "educated." Lay and Lie are not interchangeable. "I need to lie down". But lay does: "I need to lay my head down." Confusion kicks in because of the past tense of both verbs - lie becomes lay; lay becomes laid - but the usage stays the same.

You never mean: Chaise lounge. you always mean: Chaise longue. Why: People have beengetting this wrong for at least a century. The proper phase is French and translated as "long chair."

You never mean: ATM machine, PIN number. you always mean: ATM, PIN. Why: Redundancy ("automated teller machine machine," "personal identification number number").

No comments:

Post a Comment