Sunday, June 16, 2013

Unbelievable that some people still care about color

                 by  Julia Joseph
                       Archbishop Wood High School

                 Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the long-anticipated 14th segment of Jules Rules.
                 It was a dark and stormy night, almost midnight, when I came to the sudden realization I am furious people still care about the color of others' skin and judge others' families.
                With the recent Cheerios commercial controversy, I thought this might be the perfect time to explain to you exactly why this is one of the stupidest things people have done in years, right in front of the creation of the new Nickelodeon show "Sanjay and Craig."
                Consider this your official warning because you are about to enter the complaining zone.
                Some commercials are hilarious, no matter how many times you watch them, like the previews for "Despicable Me 2." ( Only 20 days to go!!)
                Some commercials are ridiculously depressing, like all those SPCA spots with Sarah McLachlan.
                And some commercials are adorable and inspiring, like the recent interracial Cheerios ad.
                In this commercial, a young black girl walks up to a white woman and says, "Mom, Dad told me that Cheerios is good for your heart.  Is that true?"
               And after the mother explains the General Mills cereal's ingredients and confirms they are heart-healthy, the little girl smiles, grabs the box of cereal and runs out of the kitchen.
              Then, it cuts to the father, an African-American man, who wakes up from a nap on the couch with a pile of Cheerios over his left chest.  If you want to watch it for yourself, it's called "Just Checking" and can be found on Cheerios' YouTube.
              Why isn't that the cutest commercial of the year, you might ask?  Because of the colors of the actors skins.
              Oh, goodness me, I completely forgot!  We live in the 1950s where this is completely unheard of and it's an insane concept to think about!  I don't even have a friend who has an interracial family!  Why, how could General Mills ever allow this on TV?
              I really wonder if people think things through before they open their big mouths and spout horrible, vulgar remarks to a company with the bravery to move forward like that.  So horrible and vulgar were these things that Cheerios disabled the comments on its YouTube channel.
             Upon hearing about the controversy, actor Malik Whitefield, who plays the father in the commerical,  said: "As an actor who happens to be African-American, I am very proud to be part of the forward-thinking Cheerios commercial produced by General Mills.  I believe it represents what America stands for ----- regardless of race, creed or sexual preference.  To all of the wonderful people who have supported this heartwarming and very adorable commerical, I applaud you all."
            When I first saw this commerical, I'll admit the interracial family caught my attention; I'm not going to pretend I'm colorblind.  However, I thought to myself afterwards: "Wow, that's really cool of Cheerios."
            I believe wholeheartedly that, while I was initially taken aback by the makeup of this family, this should be recognized as the best commercial of the year.  For its adorable ending scene.
           And most of all, for the last word we see in that commercial, "love," which is a reminder to all of us that's the only thing needed to make up a real family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment