Saturday, January 5, 2013

Do I hate these words? Jeah

                 I wove in and out of the supermarket aisles the other day like a setter intent on retrieving a downed quail in high grass.
                Where was that darn Crystal Light?
                Couldn't find it near the soft drinks, and it wasn't near the fruit juices, and it wasn't nestled beside Nestle's Quik.  I motored up and down those aisles so many times looking for the powdered refreshment, I could've used a V-8 ---- the one found beneath a hood, not in a bottle.
                I ultimately did what I should've done before wasting too much time looking for the item:  I sought an employee to save me time from looking and my knees from more throbbing.
                "Excuse me," I asked a teenage checker, "do you know which aisle the Crystal Light's in?"
                Her response : "Jeah."
                "I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you said there," I said, leaning toward her and with my brow knitted in confusion.
                "Jeah, I can show you where it is, sir," she said politely.
                So, I had heard her correctly.  She said jeah?  JEAH?  As in "Yeah, I know where it is."  Now, either the young clerk was from a foreign land and hadn't quite grasped the English language or she was playing linguistic gymnastics with a word that honestly doesn't need the exercise.
                As we walked to the aisle where the Crystal Light was ----- it was in the bread aisle, and really, where else would it be?  ---- I asked her about the way she had pronounced that word.
                "It's kind of a cool way kids are saying 'yeah' these days," she said of the term coined by U.S. Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte, who last year filed papers to trademark it.
                I was, and am, cool to it as well.
                We view ourselves as the Coast Guard, protecting our shores from a mass invasion of bad words and phrases.  A word like jeah is more flotsam and jetsam we don't need washing onto our coastlines that have become littered with bastardized versions of the language many of us hold dear.
                Since our previous installment of the wildly popular "Lose it from the Lexicon" series, which highlights and attempts to eradicate unnecessary words, phrases and abbreviations, more keep coming.  It's junk mail and the postman's working overtime.  Our Wall of Shame includes words and phrases such as like, totally, whatever, back story, perfect storm, phone tag, you know, don't go there, swag, I mean, it is what it is, my bad, help me to help you, ginormous, agree to disagree,at the end of the day, let me thank you in advance, think outside the box, thrown under the bus, baby bump, new normal, pet parent and shared sacrifice.
               I complained to a friend about hearing the word jeah.  His response:
               "The word you were expecting to hear was yeah," he said.  "But that's already been messed with forever; yeah used to be yes."
              Jeah, he's right.
              And so we present to you the latest installment of the "Lose it from the Lexicon" series.  Unlike my favorite refreshment, these are difficult to swallow:
              Meggings: As in leggings for men.  Ugh.  I'm begging for an end to meggings, both the silly term and men slipping them on.  Also, if we're going gender here --- using an 'm' for men ---- why aren't leggings for women called weggings, or geggings for girls?  Oh God, now they've got me doing it.
              Selfies: Defined as pictures taken of yourself while holding the camera or phone at arm's length.  Of course, you can understand the need for this term.  Saying "Here are some photos I snapped of myself" can be quite challenging for some.
              Humblebrag: Way to describe someone's transparent attempt to use humility to obscure bragging.  "Darn, I have to do a voice over for a new video game and my throat is killing me."  So's the term, honey,so's the term.
              Adorkable: Another of those annoying portmanteau words, this one morphing adorable and dork, as in "Harriet, your son is so adorkable I want to buy him a pen pocket protector and squeeze him to death."
             Jelly: A hipper way, the youngin's say, to say jealous.  "When Brandon saw me with Billy last night, it made him so jelly."  Hope there's no way to preserve this one.
             Acronyms: OMG and LOL have spread like a virus, dumbing down our language with creations like YOLO (you only live once) and TLDR (too long, didn't read).  I've got one for those people:  CYSE ---- can't you speak English?             

No comments:

Post a Comment