Sunday, May 20, 2012

What really Grinds our Gears

Contrary to popular belief, we teenagers don't complain all the time.  But that doesn't mean there aren't things that drive us crazy.

Passing on the right
The amount of time spent slowly squeezing by on the right typically equals the amount of time it takes to just wait for the car to turn.  I've seen cars that would rather drive up on the side of the road, just barely inches from scraping a tree, than just wait the two seconds it takes for the car in front to turn.
Terrible Parents
Please control your screaming and crying child who is badly misbehaving in a public area and not being reprimanded in any way whatsoever.
Pocket Dialing
I can't stand when people accidentally call my phone and I pick up, only to hear no one else on the other end of the line.  Most of the time, this happens when I'm driving and have my iPhone hooked up to my stereo, so I have to unplug my phone, look to see who it is, answer the phone, say, "Hello? Hello? Hello?" and get no response.  It just ruins my drive and makes me never want to answer my phone again.
Grammar and spelling mistakes
Mainly contractions.  Recently, I have been noticing high school-aged students, as well as teachers, have no clue what the difference is between you're and your, along with their and they're.  Why?  Where were you in first grade when your teacher was going over this?  It might just be the writer in me, but it drives me crazy.
People who stand too close in line
If you stand behind me in line, I should not be able to feel you breathing on me.  A 2-foot personal bubble between us is fine; no one will cut in front of you, I promise.  And I can't guarantee I won't accidentally stretch /elbow you in the face if you stay where you are.
People who don't use turn signals
I loathe the people who can't take the millisecond it requires to switch on their turn signal at an intersection.  Seriously, I am courteously waiting for you to pass so I can turn, but you are SO inconsiderate to not let me know you're turning, too.  Your turn signal is within easy reach for a freaking reason... and it's ILLEGAL not to use it!
Loud eaters
Squish, squish, chomp, chomp....Who raised you, horses?  Cows?  People who chew their food in the same manner a cow chews its cud really "grinds my gears" ("Family Guy" reference).  I mean, how hard is it to close your mouth while you devour the plate of food in front of you?  It literally takes no effort to chew quietly.  Oh, and the people who smack their lips after they eat....don't even get me started.
Scratching paper
One thing that really bothers me is when something, anything, scratches something else made of paper.  Cardboard, printer paper, you name it, I hate when it scratches against something else.  Especially fingernails.  Ick.
People who send game requests on Facebook
No.  I do not want to play Farmville, Petville or any other game that ends in ville.  I already spend too much time on FB!
Family stickers
One of my greatest pet peeves is the cheesy family stickers that drivers place on their back window.  It is competely unnecessary for me to know how many children and pets you have.  What will you do when your baby grows up?  Will you continue to get stickers for each phaseof your child's life?
People who complain all the time
I am guilty of this, I know.  I'm as negative as they come.  But when you keep rehashing p problem over and over again, instead of doing something about it or taking the advice I have given you time and time again, it makes me wonder whether you just like the attention or like to hear yourself talk.
When celebrites give their children 'original' names
Let's be honest : Giving your kid the weirdest name you can think of is not going to do anything for them in the future.  Somme examples:  Blue Ivy Carter (Beyonce and Jay-Z); Moroccan Scott (Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon); Sparrow James Midnight (Nicole Richie and Joe Madden); and, last but certainly not least, Zuma Nesta Rock (Gwen Stevani and Gavin Rossdale).
Ice cubes
They get in the way while you're trying to drink!  If I wanted ice in my mouth when I was trying to drink, I would put it there .  This is what refrigerators are for.
Conspiracy maniacs
I have heard one too many theories about how the government is out to get everyone.
People who are never hungry
Honestly.  Don't make me feel guilty about eating.
Dirty cars
It just looks gross to have dirt and grime all over your windows and everywhere.
'No offense
Whatever you said that was followed by the phrase "But no offense!" was probably really offensive.
Asking, 'Can I ask you a question?"
You just did.
Starting fights via texting, Facebook, Twitter, etc....
Grow up.
Over-editing a picture
Girls are the prime examples here.  They erase blemishes, brighten eyes and whiten teeth until they are unrecognizable.
Not finding clothes in your size
There always seems to be an abundance of extra-larges and extra-extra-smalls but never just plainold small or medium.
Trying to text with fake nails
I recently got tips put on my nails and my texting speed has been reduced to about five words per minute, I think!
People who claim to love their boyfriend/girlfriend after two weeks
There is no such thing as "love at first sight," so don't expect me to believe you're so in love!  It's been two weeks ----get over it!
People who think the words "smart" and "nerds" are interchangeable
Just because someone is intelligent doesn't mean they have no social life skills.  No, we do not sit at home reading a math textbook and playing chess!
Having someone interrupt me when I'm reading
If I have my nose stuck in a book, it probably means I don't want to talk right then and there, especially if it's about something I couldn't care less about!
When guys say, 'It's a guy thing'
Is it really?  If you're going to drop hints about it in front of me, then is it really such a big "guy thing" ?  No, you're just being a jerk!
People who use "YOLO" as an excuse for stupid berhavior
If you're going to drink and drive or do drugs, then you're just being dumb!  Using an acronym ("You only live once," if you missed last week's reality) doesn't excuse your behavior.
People who don't understand 'Hunger Games' references
If a reference can be used, then I'm going to make it.  If you don't understand it, then read the books or stop asking whenever you don't get it!
The girl photo pose
If you're a high school student, you'll know how annoying this is!  This also goes for just about anyone who routinely works at a desk.  There's nothing more bothersome than taking a 100-point test or writing a note and having your desk wobble and interfere with your writing.  All your knowledge and focus will go out the window because of the distracting, clanking feet of your desk hitting the ground every time you lift your hand up.
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
I don't know why or how they became a thing, but I can't watch people eat them or even think about the strange consistency of creamy peanut butter and gooey jelly formed under one bizarre slab of bread.  Welcome to 2012, it's called Nutella, and you should try it sometime.
Writing in bathroom stalls
I wouldn't mind a good story while I'm going to the bathroom, but don't write things that don't make sense.  It literally drives me insane trying to figure out what "Take pink banana " or "Left of here" means.  I don't know if I'm supposed to solve a murder mystery or just shut up and wash my hands.
The gym class junkies
I get that you live for this one 90-minute block of terror and sweat-inducing activity, but some of us are just counting down the days until we graduate and no one cares if we get obese.  So sorry, but the passion is just not there for me.
Should we hug, handshake or just do weird half-waves?
I myself am an airplane hugger, so that option is bound to be uncomfortable, and handshakes are so formal, whereas the half-wave just looks miserable.  You can't win.
When people speak in abbreviated words meant for texting or Facebook
By the time I'm tottering around the old folks' home, the English language will probably only consist of a few words shortened into acronyms that don't really mean anything.
Slow walkers
I will run you over.  Walk fast or stay near the edge of the hallway.
Rainy days on vacation
It is very annoying to spend months planning a wonderful trip and then find yourself covered in rain.  Families work hard to think through all of the minute details that go into a trip.  Within a millsecond, all of that hard work can be considered useless after a downpour.  This happened during one of many trips to Hershey.  Without Hershey's Chocolate World, I don't know what we would have done.
Summertime reruns
During the months of June, July and August, the television often ends upo working overtime.  As my homework decreases, the time I spend with my television increases. Due to this hobby, my biggest pet peeve is reruns during the summertime.  It is so frustrating to pour a delicious glass of lemonade, put my feet up and then find myself reclining with nothing to watch.
'Just seeing if you guys were paying attention'
This is the typical teacher response when they make a mistake.  I cringe every time I hear this, and then an overwhelming urge to hit something quickly comes over me. Obviousl, you made a mistake.  Acknowledge that and move on, rather than give some wise response.
Mispronunciation of my name, Alexa
I've heard it all over the years: Alex, Alexis, Alexia, even Alaska, but it has always baffled me.  My name is Alexa (Ah-Lex-Ah).  But apparently to the rest of the world, the last "a" is silent.  But, really, is it that hard to pronounce?
When people speak in text form, especially when they use the word "awk"
"OMG guys, it was so AWK".  Really?  Awk?  First of all, how much time are you really saving by cutting out the last syllable of the word?  And second of all, we all know whenever people describe a situation as awkward, it rarely actually is.  But combine those two and you're just about off the scale of "Things that Enrage Alexa."
Test takers who hum
Stop it.  Stop it right now.   I don't care if you're going to be jamming out to the newest tunes in your head; I do that myself!  But when you're distracting me by humming the same three lines over and over again, I feel my patience slowly waning for you.  Do not be surprised if I shoot you glares from where I sit ----- you have earned them.
When people say they love your favorite band, and then only know the band's most popular songs
When this happens, I start badgering them: What's the bassist's name?  Were any of them in previous bands?  What are their middle names?  What album is your favorite?  What is the lead singer's favorite color?  What's the guitarist's favorite food?  Don't think I'm going to let you get away with this fake-fan attitude ---- you will either become very knowledgeable by the end of my little survey, or you will realize how dumb you look when trying to put a claim on something you know nothing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment